Sunday, January 1, 2012

Ended by surprise like everything else I've been through

January 1, 2012


New year.


New blog look.


I don't make New Years resolutions.


But that doesn't mean that I can't consider some possible changes in my life in the upcoming year.


And I am.


I will.


Some people won't be happy.


Too bad.


Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over again anticipating a different result.


Classify me as no longer insane.


















My time partying because it's New Years are long past.


Although each New Year I do remember, with some fondness, those times of carefreeness.


Last night I said to Stephen that when you're 19, you don't think that there will be a point in your life when you spend New Years sitting in your spot, eating fondue, drinking Fat Bastard wine, watching reruns of Roseanne and then an hour of Big Bang Theory


Wondering if you're going to even make it to midnight.


Then it happens.


And it doesn't seem as crazy as you thought it would.


What does sound crazy is going on one night of the year, remembering the old year,  celebrating of the forthcoming year and getting so intoxicated that when you do wake up the next morning, you don't know what decade you're in, let alone what particular year it is.


Bringing in a new year hungover while trying to participate in a family dinner just doesn't seem all that logical to me.


















And there may well be a family dinner today.


I am expected my brother and father.


Mum, probably not.


She's got a cold, and the sidewalk/road conditions at this particular moment resemble more a coke bottle than pavement.


A result of an extended bout of freezing rain yesterday and last evening.


Making my drive from the nursing home to my house more than hair raising on a couple of occasions.


Note to self: sometimes driving at 30 kms an hour is better than taking the side street.


The one that won't see salt until someone drops their McDonald's french fries by accident.


















Prior to the spot-fondue-wine-rerun events, I did go to the nursing home for a visit with Mum.


Beginning with the last twenty minutes of a Lawrence Welk New Years program bringing in 1971.


THAT was entertaining.


Especially the 20 something young women who wished everyone a Happy New Year after they introduced themselves and shared their life's endeavours.


Child psychologist.


Nurse.


Ending with the waltzing with Welk and his boys.


Nauseating.


Found this little gem on youtube.


I wonder if they had any idea what they were singing.




Welk referred to it as a "modern spiritual."


For some, perhaps.


















Here's to 2012!








Title Lyric: One Toke Over the Line by Brewer and Shipley 

No comments:

Post a Comment