Saturday, January 7, 2012

Running to the future with you right by my side

January 7, 2012




Stephen and Emily were gracious enough to share their sore throat, coughing, diarrhea with me.


Three days before classes begin.


Thanks.


Love you both, too!








Frankie continues to mourn Tikka.


We all do.


But we have things to distract us from the pain of loss. 


Grant applications to adjudicate.


Dissertation proposals to revise and resubmit.


Syllabi to prepare for next week's beginning of classes.


Frankie has. . . . .


Us. 


Trying valiantly to keep him occupied.


A more-than-full-time-job on it's own.


THE only time Frankie has ever been completely and utterly exhausted has been after a three or four hour romp on the beach, running in and out of the ocean, chasing birds, digging for treasure.


Not really possible during this time of the year.


We're trying our best to make him feel special.


Extra drives in the car.


Little nummies in his food bowl.


Walks as often as possible during the day.


Last night, for instance.


Clad in only my pjs, I put on my full length winter coat, complete with hat, mitts, and miner-like headlight, and joined Stephen and Frankie on an evening stroll through the farm.


Something about being up there at night, snow falling around you, just you and the people you love that makes those night time rambles so enjoyable. 


Especially when you can see where you're going.


Always a plus for someone as clumsy as I am.


Clumsiness not made any easier with weight loss that has resulted in too big boots, meaning with every stumble, I am on the verge of falling over and becoming the turtle on it's back in my full length winter coat. 


Wearing my Blundstones makes me feel the same way I did as a kid when I'd wear my mother's heal.


Feet flopping around inside my boots as I try to maintain enough purchase to preclude falling over.


All while keeping my face down to ensure that no hidden ice patches sneak up on me and take me out.








Now going out for this ramble was lovely.


But the fever that returned upon our return home was not.


Putting me back in bed, a punishment for thinking I could actually go outside when I was sick.


While I was convalescing, Stephen took the tree down, cleaned up the spruce needle detritus littering the living room floor, and packed the decorations in their box to wait for next Christmas.


Which HAS to be better than this Christmas.


Has to be.








Classes resume Monday.


Meeting at 9.00 am.


I'll be spending the weekend working to complete my syllabi.


I've added some new books to the mix.


Articles that will, hopefully, engage my students to do more than sit in their chairs looking at me with mild interest on their faces.


Something like this:











Title Lyric: Running by No Doubt

No comments:

Post a Comment