Thursday, February 16, 2012

Wake up in the morning, feeling shy and lonely. . . .

February 16, 2012




Another day where my circle of constant companions has shrunk to one. 



Not being able to manage actually getting up and doing everything that needed to be done to go to work, let alone stand in front of  three classes while trying to keep my lungs withing my body, and not being able to stand the walls of our bedroom for a second longer, I trudged downstairs to the kitchen to nosh on some homemade chicken soup and read second year book reviews of Sudhir Venkatesh's Gang Leader for a Day.

Of course, my little shadow, Jasper, has been with me literally every. single. second of my convalescing. 

Including any and all trips to the bathroom. 

The above is his take on the critical thinking exhibited in the second year book reviews.

Imagine what scathing comments would emerge if he could speak.

Or worse, write????????

Pookie Flu, Pookie Flu, how I'd like to kick you in the ass.

Once you're finished kicking me.




I was sad to read on www.cbc.ca that Wheels from Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High passed away. 

He's the one wearing the glasses.

Neil Hope, left, is shown with Pat Mastroianni, centre, who played Joey Jeremiah and Stefan Brogren, who played Archibald (Snake) Simpson in a scene from Degrassi.  Hope apparently died five years ago without any public announcement.

5 years ago.

For whatever reason, news of his passing remained silent until now.

He was 35 when he passed away.

I have no trouble admitting that I LOVED all the versions of Degrassi.

Growing up in a small village in rural New Brunswick, Degrassi was my way of connecting with the world outside our little hamlet. 

Issues like teen pregnancy, sex and condoms, teen suicide, abortion, drug use, bullying, dating violence. . .Degrassi was the way I was introduced to many of these issues.

I still remember sitting on my mother's bed, watching as Spike gave birth to her daughter, and wondering how any 14 year old could raise a child.  


On occasion, I wondered what my mother would say if I wore my hair the way Spike did. 

She was the most rebellious character I had encountered. . .at least at that point in my life. 

And how long would it take to get your hair like that??????



Sick or not, tomorrow I have to leave the house.

Before I hurt someone.

Or they hurt me. 

Plus, there are meetings I can't miss.

Faculty Fund applications are due.

Stephen has to be home to supervise the installation of a new downstairs bathroom toilet.

A replacement that was not a part of our fiscal plan until at least the spring.

But some things simply must be addresses asap.

So Em and Mer are off to the airport to collect Grandma.

Pookie is otherwise engaged in a commitment he could not get out of. 

The girls will, I am sure, find unique and creative ways to entertain Grandma until supper time, when we will go out for dinner and drink wine and catch up.

Me holding onto my lungs. 

Still, I am looking forward to her visit.

Just because one marries an idiot, does not mean that one cannot maintain relationships with his family.

All of whom are wonderful, caring people.

When you think about it, I am very blessed.

I remain a part of a wonderful family and I married into a wonderful family.

Not everyone is so lucky.



Title Lyric: Degrassi Junior High Theme Song 

No comments:

Post a Comment