Friday, February 18, 2011

Static cling, static cling. . .find myself some other day. . .

February 18, 2011


Em's visit to the ER was successful. 

At least in terms of being medicated.

For what, however, still remains a mystery.

It wasn't what we thought it was, but no one else seemed to have a clue what it was either, so she was sent home with antibiotics, with the express hope that they actually work to address what needs addressing, even if we don't what is wrong with her.

And she was told to keep her March doctor's appointment.

Just in case.

Uncharacteristic for the ER where we live, she was actually in and out in two hours.

Someone should call the CBC.

THAT is newsworthy.







Yesterday I wore a lovely dress that had belonged to my sister in law.

However, Kathryn was smaller than I was.

And shorter.

The dress fit.

It was not snug in anyplace where it shouldn't be snug.

My naturally occurring ghetto booty wasn't anymore pronounced than usual.

But it was a shorter dress than I regularly wear.

And for some reason, there was an unusual amount of static cling.

I got out of the car, and the next thing I know Stephen is grabbing my bottom. . . .

. . . .something I don't usually mind, just to be clear. . . .

because my dress had decided to travel northward.

Putting on display aspects of myself I prefer to keep covered at all times.

Plus I refuse to shave my legs in the winter.

I need all the warmth I can get.

The entire day I worried that everytime I was out and about, everytime I was not sitting in my office, I was flashing the entire campus.

I pulled and tugged at myself enough to make people wonder if I was wearing too small underwear.

And the tops of my knee high nylons were visible to everyone.

Just tacky.

I don't usually wear waist to foot nylons.

I feel like a nylon encased sausage.

But I may have to if I ever want to wear this dress again.

That and carry with me some sort of anti-static spray.






Schools are closed today.

We are under a freezing rain warning.

Give me snow.

Give me rain.

But you can keep your freezing rain.

It's just another word for ice.

And here I am getting up, doing my morning things, discontent in the knowledge that my children are snug as bugs in their beds when I have to brave the elements to teach my one class today.

And me, sick, coughing, sneezing, headache, achy joints, not able to sleep for more than an hour at a time.

There is something so inherently wrong with this picture.






We are still without a car remotely big enough to meet our needs.

Again, Stephen and I love the Fiesta.

We are grateful that we have something to drive at all.

But we are also aware that at this point in our lives, it is unrealistic for us to have a car so small we can't get our kids in the backseat without having them sustain some sort of physical injury.

I called the rental agency, begging, pleading for a larger vehicle.

They promised to get back to me.

One that can transport more than two adults comfortably.

At this point, the dogs have a vet appointment on Monday and we have no idea how we will get them there in the Fiesta.

On Monday morning, if you see a silver 2011 Ford Fiesta shooting down the highway between Fredericton and Oromocto with a dog crate strapped to the roof, containing a barking and frantic Frankie, while inside Stephen fights to keep Tikka in back seat, as opposed to his lap, while I'm behind the wheel trying to not drive into the ditch, you'll know we were unsuccessful in our bid for a larger car.

I really, really, really miss my dog gate.



Title Lyric: Static Cling by Driven Madness

No comments:

Post a Comment