Monday, February 14, 2011

It is I, Captain Vegetable, with my carrots and my celery. . .

February 14, 2011



Happy Valentine's Day!

When you love someone all year round, and tell them that, instead of waiting for one day a year.

Although watching all the men come out of Sobey's this morning with bouquets of roses was kind of funny.

Stephen thought they were atoning for something.

I replied there would be lots of atonement if they didn't get those $29.99-promised-to-last-for-at-least-five-days bouquets of roses.

And that's all I have to say about the card manufacturer's holiday.






Stephen has been struggling a little bit with the new Simply for Life eating regime.

His biggest struggle is the absence of his fourth meal.

The one that happens after I go to bed and before he does.

That usually includes a very large sandwich, with fat, sodium and nitrate filled cold cuts, cheese, hot mustard, and kolatch bun or black bread.

The meal that prevents him from getting a good night's sleep, meaning he's tired and cranky and crabby in the morning.

I have noticed that when he abstains, fights the temptation to fill himself with what are supposed to be the fixings for Keith's lunch, he's far more pleasant in the morning.

That alone is worth the effort of keeping him on task, focused towards his goal.

Nonetheless, in spite of a couple of lapses, he lost three pounds this week!

Yeah Stephen!






Stephen is fully committed to losing weight.

But he's not necessarily committed to eating some of the things he's supposed to be eating.

Or when he's supposed to be eating them.

Yesterday, we are slipping and sliding through the back roads of southern New Brunswick, on the way to visit my brother, and I'm trying to cajole Stephen into eating some carrots to keep him fueled for the afternoon.

Cajoling didn't work, so I stepped it up a notch to shoving them into his mouth while be bobbed and weaved amid the ruts and potholes.

If he's doing this, he's doing it right.






Last evening, I awoke with a start.

The kind of start that makes you realize that something is not right, off kilter, not of the norm.

Upon opening my eyes I was greeted with complete and utter darkness.

No nightlight.

No blue alarm clock ticking down the seconds, minutes, hours until I have to begin the process of getting my happy little family out of bed and ready for the day.

No delta wave sleep music to keep us happily ensconced in the land of Nod.

No power.

Not a smitch.

I staggered out of bed to look out the window only to see that the entire neighbourhood was engulfed in darkness.

The dogs took my getting up and looking out the window as an invitation to go outside, so I had to take them out for their early morning ablutions.

Eerie it was, outside, no lights, no movement, I couldn't even see the snow falling, only feel it.

And then I realized the repercussions of no power in the early morning.

No fan.

No delta sleep music.

Meaning the only sounds to cut through the silence was the abhorrent, annoying, revolting, obnoxious, beastly sounds of Stephen's snoring.

With nothing to drown out the symphony of stifled nasal passages, I had no choice but to pop in my earphones and listen to my ipod.

It was more likely I was going to fall asleep listening to Pink and Rhianna than Stephen's snoring.

Sad, that is.

Pop music for listening to while cooking, shoveling, walking as the means of trying to locate entry back into the land of Nod.

It didn't work.

Imagine.

4.30 am the power comes back on and after I reset the clock and alarm clock, I go back to bed for an hour before the day begins.

Nap time later?

Count on it.






Still no word about our car.

I dreamed we got it back.

We'd better.

Or heads will roll.



Title Lyric: Captain Vegetable from Sesame Street

No comments:

Post a Comment