Friday, February 3, 2012

Driver education, driver education. . .

February 3, 2012


I woke up this morning, alone.


All alone.


Only the blaring of the alarm, and the soft snores of the dogs indicated there were beings in the house other than myself.


This has never happened as far as I can remember.


A Friday morning.


Not having to get up and drive Em to school, get to a class, go to a meeting.


Fight with Stephen to get up.


I arose at 5.30, as usual.


The dogs hungry and in need to bladder relief.


Ate my customary bowl of fiber cereal with yogurt, not milk because that's disgusting.


But no coffee.


I was tired.


Am tired.


But was more tired at 5.30.


Knowing I didn't have to take Em to school because Stephen had a 9.00 am class, I did what I had to do and crawled back into bed.


I do remember signing something for Em.


If it's anything bad, I guess I'll find out later.


And a conversation may have occurred with Keith.

If so, he'll remind me later what I promised.



Stephen must have set the alarm so I'd remember to get up in time for my hair appointment.


The one I've put off twice now because I either didn't have the money, or something was scheduled last minute that conflicted with my hair appointment.


It's my one site of vanity.


The grey wings.


If grey was splattered throughout my hair, and not concentrated on the hair framing my face, I wouldn't care.


At least that's what I'm saying.


But I do care.

Ergo, I must do something about it.



So here I am.


Alone on a Friday morning.


Coffee beside me.


Jasper cleaning his nether ye-yah on the bookcase beside me.


Frankie and Fynn resting quietly on the office floor.


No other sounds in the house.


THIS is how Friday morning was meant to be.






Today is also a big day for Em.


ROAD TEST DAY is written on the More-Time-For-Mom calendar.


As if I could forget that today is the day my baby may well be granted official permission to traverse the highways and biways of Canada on her own.


Without parental accompaniment.


On the one hand, I accept that this is a rite of passage, an indication that she is growing up, moving into parts of her life that won't include me.


On the other hand, I am wishing that she was still my little girl gigantic blue eyes, who just wanted to spend time with Mum, content that her world didn't extend too much beyond the house, school. . . .


Most of all, I am terrified of the idiot drivers who daily risk the lives of others when they get behind the wheel and think that where they're going is FAR more important than where anyone else is going.


I encountered two of those people last night on the ten minute drive from work to home.


So forgive me for not trusting those morons who turn speed limits into perhaps-if-you-would-like-to-consider-it-a possible speed guideline; who think the yellow light means stomp-on-the-gas-pedal-and-race; for whom a STOP sign is a decoration in an otherwise winter wonderland.


My baby is going to be driving on her own.


And I will seriously harm, maim, mutilate and otherwise damage ANYONE who does ANYTHING to harm her while she is seatbelted into Ellie the Elantra, taking her next step into adulthood.


Don't test me. 






Title Lyric: Driver Education by Amy Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment