Thursday, December 1, 2011

We're stuck between a rock and a hard place. A rock and a hard place.

December 1, 2011


The other reason I know it's the end of term: students who I haven't seen for months show up on the second to last day wanting to submit assignments for grading in spite of missing almost all of the course.

And then try and rationalize their absence by comparing their off campus workload to the others in class.

As in, "I worked all these hours in a week" kind of rationalization.

An "I need this class to graduate this spring" rationale.

Then why the hell weren't you in class if you needed this class to graduate???????!!!!!!!!

And then being met with the blank stare, as I am the one with the problem.

Now what the hell am I supposed to do?

What message do I send to the other students about the importance of attendance in a practice based course, how important it is to attend class to understand what it means to write a cogent research question, to conduct a participant observation, engage in an interview, if I let this student pass the course?

Even if they are willing to "take a low grade."

How is that fair to everyone else who showed up to class?

On the other hand, if I don't pass them, and force them to take the course again, I'll have to deal with them, as I am the only one who teaches this class.

And it's required.

And do I really want to deal with this person for another term.

Not that I dealt with them much this term, but you know what I mean.

Do I want to see their face everyday, reminding me of the decision I made.

Knowing that they're there because of me.

I asked what the other profs did.

Apparently, one is just giving a lower grade, and the other two "don't care."

Hmmmmm. . . . .

I HATE being in this position.

I've promised a decision today.

Meaning I'll have to come up with something.

I know what I want to do.

It's what I should do that's causing me all the problems.




Title Lyric: Rock and A Hard Place by The Rolling Stones

No comments:

Post a Comment