Saturday, December 3, 2011

All the details in the fabric. . . .

December 3, 2011




The dress consult with Natalie at Nobility Designs was phenomenal! 


http://www.nobilityclothing.com/


We picked the fabric most manageable and affordable from the swatches Em picked up from Fabricville.


Realized that the pleats we didn't see in the picture, and thankfully Natalie did, were not necessary in the construction of the dress.


Good thing.


Because apparently, you have to send material to pleaters.


Don't ask.


I don't know.


















In fact, Natalie's studio is absolutely stunning.


Warm, welcoming, cozy. . .


And as familiar to me as being inside a nuclear power plant.


Sewing is not my forte.


When taking the requisite Home Economics course in middle school, I managed well through cooking and projects about babies, but sewing was my nemesis.


It took me months to figure out that the lines on the sewing machine base, where the needle was, served to provide the opportunity to keep the fabric straight.


Explained why everyone else was able to make straight seams while mine always looked like I downed a quart of vodka before hitting the sewing machine.


My home economics teacher always looked at me like I was "special" when I would take my malformed, maligned seams to her for inspection.


Until I finally came to a solution.


I just paid one of the girls in my class to complete the major sewing project for the class. 


Someone who understood more than I the intricacies of the sewing machine and its social constructions.


May have cost me my allowance but it saved me a lot of grief and garnered me a good grade. 


Thankfully Natalie knows far more about what she's doing than I do.


Good thing.


Or at prom Em would look like she'd been made a dress by a group of overly zealous toddlers.


















Tonight we are attending the Pine Grove Festival of Lights.


45 trees decorated by businesses around the greater Fredericton area in support of the Pine Grove Foundation. 


http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/liveit/article/1460235


Every time I drive into the nursing home for the next few weeks, I'll be treated to trees beautifully decorating, shining bright.


I'll take pictures tonight.  


I promise. 






Title Lyric: Sewing Machine by Jason Mraz

No comments:

Post a Comment