Saturday, December 17, 2011

It's better to say too much, than never to say what you need to say again. . .

December 17, 2011




I slept in.


9.00 this morning before I felt guilty enough to get up and take the dogs out for their first of the day ablutions.


Usually we engage in these activities at 5.00 am.


So 9.00 was quite an extensive lie in. 


And believe me, I could easily go back to bed right now and continue that much needed, always wanted lie in.


In fact, I may spend the entire Christmas Break working from my bed, with occasional bathroom breaks, recharging with SFL approved sustenance, and maybe the odd walk with the hounds to prevent muscle atrophy.


I dream big, oh yes I do.


















As predicted, yesterday was of chaotic proportions.


One meeting that ended before it was scheduled to.


Yeah!


The other meeting that resulted in me losing a smitch of my temper to say something everyone was thinking and no one wanted to say but that needed to be said otherwise things could get ugly.


In spite of outward appearances, I actually don't say 99% of what I think.


If I did, I'd lose my job and probably end up in jail.


For a long time.


But there are times when someone has to say something and if no one else is willing to take that on, then you have to step up to the plate.


I did.


The silence was palpable.


But, in the end things moved in the way they were intended to move. 


Two weeks ago.


And given that the work of this particular committee is to make decisions regarding the progression of people's careers, two weeks can be construed as a long time.


Luckily for me, I did get support after the meeting from other committee meetings in that they shared my opinion.


Too bad they couldn't have said that during the meeting.


I'll take what I can get. 


For now.


















Last night's exam was uneventful.


Yeah.


Just long.


When you're bed time is 9.00, 9.30 if you're really wild and crazy, the knowledge that the exam you're giving ends at 10.00 pm, meaning you probably won't get home until at least 10.30 pm, can be stressful.


Worse: missing Big Bang Theory.




As the clock progressed towards 8.00, I was saddened by the knowledge that a full hour of Big Bang was in the works and I wasn't able to sit in my chair, in my living room, Dibley kneading on my lap, me quoting Sheldon quips in Facebook. . . .


I marked essays.


Until Mer called.


Mer who was the only one of my children NOT aware that I was in an exam.


In hushed tones I told her I was invigilating an exam and then I hung up.


The only reason I answered in the first place is because when my phone rings after 8.00, it's usually my mother and that never means anything good.


Imagine my relief/frustration when I realized it wasn't my mother, hence everything is okay, and oh, it's Mer and I wonder how much she wants.


After the exam, I left campus to pick Em up from work and then it was straight home.


Straight home.


Jammies on in less than 5 minutes after I arrived home.


Snuggles, snuggles, snuggles with Frankie and Tikka.


So, so needed. 


I am used to working long days.


But those days usually begin at 5.00 am and result in me walking over the threshold of my front door around 6.00 pm.


So a day that started at 5.00 am and resulted in me walking over the threshold of my front door at 10.30 pm was a stretch even for me.


Meaning today I'll be lucky if I can muster enough energy to mark and get dressed.


I'll have to, though.


Christmas lunch with my TA at 12.30 before she heads home for the holidays.


Marking in my office while Stephen invigilates his exam.


Leaving at 4.30 to have supper with Mum.


Beans and brown bread it is.


And then home for more marking until I can't put a cogent word to paper and have to retire to my bed with Frankie by my side.


















Before tomorrow morning at 5.00 when I get up and begin the preparations for the Quaker Christmas meeting and potluck.


We're hosting this year.


Homemade macaroni and cheese, and my Grandmother's shortbread cookies to be made beforehand.


As well as taking the dogs on a nice, long run before everyone arrives in the futile hope that maybe for once Frankie will behave himself while our Friends are downstairs worshiping in silence.


Silence and Frankie aren't very close.


Never met actually.


So wearing him out is not an option.


It's a necessity.


Unfortunately, it usually wears me out.


And I am so close to worn out already and the day hasn't even begun.


Or the weekend for that matter.


I think I'm going back to bed for a bit. 






Title Lyric: Say What You Need to Say by John Mayer

No comments:

Post a Comment