Friday, November 4, 2011

It rubs the lotion on its skin. . . .

November 4, 2011


Okay, feeling better.

Somewhat anyway.

Yesterday actually required a nap in my office, around noon, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to make it through to 5.30 pm.

In spite of some one's incessant banging on my door.

Lucky for that person I was simply too tired to get up from the comfort of my chair to do anything about it.

But I wanted to.

And that counts a lot.

Nonetheless, when it was time for me to crawl between my sheets, clad in the warmth of my zebra stripped flannel jammies, Frankie on one side of me, Tikka also on the bed and snug against my feet, I was so happy to be there, thus putting an end to a long, long day.









Not that today appears any better.

First meeting this afternoon of a new committee.

One of the scarier committees on campus.

In fact, I have to go in this morning to read the material for this afternoon's meeting.

Material that does not leave the room in which it is housed.

Meaning I go to it.

Not that even such a thing as finding time to go read some documents has been at all easy to manage.

I had to request a special meeting time, as all the other times to meet with the material coincided with when I was teaching, making it impossible for me to engage with the documents.

So first thing this morning, me, a bottle of water and the documents will have a little sit down together and become acquainted.

Because there is no way I want to sit on this committee in any way unprepared.









After sitting with the material, I have to sort out something that came in the mail yesterday.

A Summons to Witness from the Fredericton City Police.

Okay. Fine. Good thing my brother was here at the moment of my reading this letter in order to explain to me what the hell it was all about.

They want you in court because you witnessed something.

Oh. Alright.

The only problem is I have NO idea what I was witness to.

Unless it was the car accident Keith and I witnessed this summer.

But I can't imagine it was that.

Could it?

Doesn't matter what thoughts ping around inside my head, the office that sent me the letter doesn't open until 9.00 am, so waiting will be endured until I can get someone on the phone who can tell me what this is all about.

Because I'll admit, I am curious.









Secret documents and witness summons are just two of the things I have to address today.

The final task is far more present and important.

Face cream.

For my mother.

Who has called me twice this week to remind me that she needed face cream, because her face was dry and flaky and she really needed face cream and she was worried I was going to forget.

How could I possibly forget when she leaves messages daily to remind me?

Knowing she needs the face cream is not the issue. Finding an opportunity to get to a store and buy it is the real issue.

When you're at work from 8.00 am to 7.00 pm, and crawl into the house in search of furry four legged companionship and sustenance, going to the grocery store in search of face cream is the last thing I want to do.

Last night I was barely able to stay awake for the newest episode of Big Bang Theory.

THAT'S how tired I was.

I haven't even been reading in the evenings. Just crawling into bed and immediately falling asleep.

Perhaps once the Christmas holidays arrive, I'll be more able to, once again, enjoy reading in bed before I fall asleep.

Again, it's the little things.




Title Lyric: Lotion by Greenskeepers

No comments:

Post a Comment