Sunday, June 12, 2011

That summer day that I recall. . . .

June 12, 2011


Yesterday was a most busy day indeed.

Once all of the feline/canine expulsion of bodily fluids issues had run their course, we were able to progress with our regularly scheduled programming.






First on the agenda was the annual Family BBQ at the nursing home.

For reasons I simply cannot remember, we were unable to attend last summer.

A grievous error, believe me.

So this summer we made certain we would be available to participate in this year's festivities.

Everyone had to bring a salad.

I brought our families offering, a salad with chick peas, kidney beans, celery, peppers, green olives, carrots, garlic and fresh basil in a red wine vinaigrette.

We arrived after my father and brother, to find my mother sitting in the shade, four chairs lined up beside her.

I know my mother doesn't like to sit in the sun, and apparently, neither does my father, but within minutes of settling in for an afternoon of local singers, bagpipes and someone with six albums and a letter from George Bush thanking him for writing a song in support of the troops, I was freezing.

I was hoping that once the weather warmed, my newfound abhorrence for the cold would subside.

No such luck.

Meaning I had to leave frequently to warm up.

It never occurred to me to wear a sweater.

Knowing my mother's proclivity for shade, I should have realized.

Alas, all my mental energies were consumed by the salad.






The actual BBQ was very nice.

We are still barbecue-less in our house, so any opportunity to partake of meats cooked outside with propane are always welcome.

After sampling some of the savory salads, I lined up for a hamburger.

I cannot tell you the last time I had a burger.

Mustard, pickles and cheese. . .

I was in heaven.

We'll see how my heavenly adventure pans out Monday when I go to Simply for Life.

And then there was the ice cream.

I only had a smitch.

Because it was have a little or run off the with entire container, when no one was looking, to hide in my mother's bathroom with me, the container and a plastic spoon.

Dad tried to get his plate and Mum's and it was evident within a short time that he was struggling, so I took over preparing Mum's plate.

She ate everything but the burger.

Why?

Because it wasn't cut in half.

Off I went in search of plastic knife to cut it in half.

So she could give my dad the other half.

He isn't supposed to be eating red meat.

In fact, he brought fish with him to ensure he wouldn't eat any red meat.

But habit overtook commonsense when my mother thrust a half a burger at him.

I kept my mouth shut.

I'm learning that for some occasions, a shut mouth can be your best friend.






One of the staff at the nursing home lives across the street from my father.

She happened to be working yesterday.

And joined us for a little while.

It was very nice to catch up with her.

And to know there's someone who watching the house.

So if my father tries to do anything asinine, like climb ladders to the roof, I'll know about it.






Post BBQ, we had to make a stop at the Superstore for some supplies.

At least that's what I told Stephen.

Really, I wanted to go to the garden center.

My gardening activities of the week have provided space for new plants, and I wanted to fill in those spaces asap.

Peonies, oh how I love peonies. . . .







. . .were purchased, along with some annuals, as I noticed our gardens are missing the splashes of color I love in gardens; marigolds, not all that fond of them but Stephen likes them. I think they stink. . .




. . . two echinacea plants. . .




something that looks like a pink daisy, geraniums. . . .




. . .forget me nots



If these plants don't add some color, next I will resort to painting what's out there.

. . .and the vegetables.

Keith wanted to plant vegetables this summer.

The tomatoes we bought a couple of weeks ago were planted with this little hands just a couple of days ago, but he was clear in his desire for more veggies.

We bought, then, red and orange peppers, broccoli and cucumber.

He had them all planted 30 minutes after he arrived home from work.

Now all that's missing are some jalapeno plants.

You know what I'm on the hunt for next.






As soon as we returned home, I raced (well, race is such a subjective term) upstairs to change into my gardening clothes.

I wanted things planted.

The peonies and perennials are planted.

I didn't get to the annuals yet.

To plant those required some serious removal of incredibly invasive ground covers that had taken over our front gardens.

Meaning I spent the remainder of my gardening time removing the offensive ground covers and planting them in the back yard where they are free to expand as much as they want.

Provided it doesn't rain this afternoon, I'll get the rest of yesterday's purchases planted.  

Next: rhododendrons.






To round off our busy day we were treated to a lovely dinner with our friends Lisette and Michel.

On their back deck, sun keeping me nice and warm, a lovely glass of wine and good conversation proved to be the perfect end to a busy summer day.

And a lovely way to spend a summer evening.

I was loathe to leave after a sumptuous dinner of the perfect BBQ steak, rare to moving thank you very much, veggies, a delicious salad and ice cream, cake and fresh fruit for dessert, but Em wasn't going to make it home from work on her own.

When we arrived home, it was apparent that Keith had succumbed to peer pressure and went out with his friends.

He stuck a note in between the window and screen of our front door apprising us of his whereabouts.

The note began. . .To whom it may concern. . .

Family closeness.

What's not to love?



Title Lyric: Summer Day by Sheryl Crow

No comments:

Post a Comment