Friday, April 8, 2011

Why am I so nervous? Please explain to me. . .

April 8, 2011


Friday!

Finally!

Now I just have to wait until 5.00 pm to feel as if I've made it through a long, exhausting week.

Birthdays, book launches, driver's ed, book clubs, appointments, last full week of the term. . .

I'm surprised I remembered how to get dressed this morning.







Em didn't have school today. . .parent teacher interview days, and it was just as well.

I needed the extra two hours sleep.

And as always, on these rare occasions, I am amazed at how easy the mornings are when you're not harping at your teenage daughter to get up.

Or the ease of the morning wake up process when you don't have to dynamite your husband out of bed.

Get up, shower, dogs out, breakfast, pack my lunch, and off I go.

Quiet.

Peaceful.

No stomping, yelling, or Em yelling from the bathroom "I KNOW I SHOULD BE IN THE CAR RIGHT NOW. GIVE ME A MINUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Keith in the backseat giving birth to yet another litter of kittens because Em is going to make him late for his 8.30 am class.

No maniacal driving through Fredericton's version of rush hour traffic trying to get everyone where they have to be.

Whether it's on time or not is always a secondary thing.

Every morning should be like this.

But I'm smart enough to know better.






So, this afternoon is the book launch: http://w3.stu.ca/stu/news/news_view.aspx?id=147356



If I can get the original picture, I'll add it.

I'm nervous.

Despite what many people think, I actually don't intentionally seek out the limelight.

Being the center of attention.

I have no idea how this thing should proceed.

What I'm supposed to do.

Part of being nervous is embarrassment over the price of the book.

$110.00.

American.

Although given the value of the Canadian dollar, it works in our favour.

$105.00

Canadian.

More than what it should cost.

So that's part of it. 

The other part is my father.

I have no problems with Dad coming.

But he's a bit of a lose cannon.

No filter.

Must be where I get it from.

I just never know what he's going to say or to whom he will say it. 

For example, if I see him talking with the AVP or the President, I may have to make some superhero leap to intervene.

Or ask Stephen to stick by him the entire time to ensure he doesn't do anything he shouldn't do. 

Mum used to keep him on a tight leash.

But her ability to do this has decreased significantly in the last few years. 

Superhero leaps or Stephen?

I'll have to give that some thought. 






Last night was the first night this entire week when I was actually home.

We had all the kids around the table for dinner.

With warnings of keeping things calm and quiet and not the usual cacophonous calamity we experience when Mer and Keith are together. 

They decided during dinner that they were going to a movie.

An activity I encouraged.

No kids in the house, Stephen driving them and then off to do a few errands of his own, means Dawne has the house to herself.

The living room to herself.

Within minutes of their departure, I had the yoga mat on the floor, sitting on it in my version of the lotus position, eyes closed, listening intently to the lovely yoga cd Stephen bought me. 

Outside of the full body lick down from the dogs, it was lovely.

Necessary.

Definitely will be needed tonight.

Definitely.

Depending on when I manage to get home.



Title Lyric: Nervous by The Moody Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment