Thursday, November 17, 2011

It's better than the courtroom. . . .

November 17, 2011


Finally, I was able to get downtown to the police station yesterday morning to pick up my copy of the Summons to a Witness I received in the mail a few days ago.

It WAS the car accident Keith and I witnessed during the summer.

Thank god because I couldn't imagine what else I had witnessed.

But at the same time, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that I could have witnessed something and forgot about it.

So glad that didn't happen.

The person who was attempting to make the left turn at the same time that someone else was going straight through the intersection wants his day in court.

In spite of the fact that by law the person who is turning must yield to the person who is going straight.

Leaving me to wonder what the heck is going to happen in court when he's clearly in the wrong.

That doesn't mean I am not going to continue to hope that he comes to his senses, accepts responsibility for his actions and ensures that I don't have to spend the 21st of December sitting in a court room marking papers until it's my turn to testify.

How come Keith isn't participating in all this fun?

Because as soon as he realized we were stuck for the duration he got of out the car and walked to down the street to run his errands.

That's my boy.









Last evening Stephen and I attended the premiere of a short documentary entitled "My Eyes Don't Lie" Youth Exploring the Perils of Drugs.

Youth from Fredericton flew to Vancouver to understand drug use in East Hastings, Vancouver.

Talking with people on the streets, service providers, recovering addicts about how drug use impacts people's lives.

And then they came to Fredericton and interviewed people at our own tent city and the Community Kitchen.

Highlighting that drug use and social problems associated with drug use are not solely the purview of big cities.

Unfortunately, many of the people interviewed were people, younger and older, who I have served at the kitchen.

Reminding me again of the perils of poverty, street life, and a capitalist, patriarchal society that exists on the misery of others to their own benefit.









We are at the time of the academic term where it feels like the shit just keeps piling higher and higher.

Add to that personal crap and you have just one, great big humongous pile of stinky crap.

And yet again, people seem to think that I have all the control.

That I can just snap my fingers and fix everything.

Or that at the very least I should snap my fingers and fix everything.

Because if I could, I'd let the craziness I experience on a daily basis ride.

Sure.

Why not?

I have nothing else better to do than ensure that the lunacy shrouding my everyday life is maintained and sustained to remain.




Title Lyric: Better Than the Courtroom by Eliot Minor

No comments:

Post a Comment