Friday, November 18, 2011

How come I pick my ears but not my nose?

November 18, 2011


Good morning.

It's 5.30 in the morning.

Coffee only partially consumed.

But the dogs have been out and fed, Goblet has been fed, Em has had her first wake up call, and I was able to at least get a bowl of cereal prepared if not eaten.

I love this time of day.

Truly.

Other than the machinations of the pets, no one bothers me.

No requests for this and that, reminders of what I should be doing or what I'm doing that I shouldn't be doing.

Guilt about all the marking I have to do has yet to fully bloom.

Too bad I couldn't somehow contain the peace and quiet for later in the day when I could really, really use it.

Of course there is the odd morning, like yesterday, when I was so tired I accidentally took the pills I take a night in the morning.

Making me a zombie for most of the day.

Nothing like a little zombie-ness to make the day exciting.









My students are beginning to buckle under the pressure of the end of term.

Knowing what awaits them in terms of papers and assignments, exams and remaining lectures is taking a toll on their mental and physical well being.

While lecturing yesterday about the appropriate and inappropriate ways in which to ask interview questions, I directed my gaze to the back row of the small classroom in which were squeezed to notice one of the male students who likes to sit in the back because he thinks that it prevents me from seeing what he's doing.

Which was picking his nose.

Lovely.

Just what you want to see while attempting to engage your students with the material.

Digging for green gold.









The other issue, a bit more serious than nose picking, is the appearance of students who've realized that the end of term is looming.

That their absence in classes, failure to submit assignments, unwillingness to work in groups has caught up with them and they now want to negotiate with me about how to complete the term and get a grade that closely resembles a passing grade.

I have one such meeting next week.

What I don't understand is how students conclude that after not doing anything all term, they should be granted allowances, special compensations to complete the term.

Makes me crazy because meeting with them results in a blank stare as I speak to them about where they are and how they got there and how they've backed me into a corner over how to deal with it.

Maybe I should just stare back.




Title Lyric: Pick Yer Nose by Ani Difranco

No comments:

Post a Comment