Saturday, October 22, 2011

They're up quite high, flying in a V formation, here come the geese. . .

October 22, 2011

I despise waste.

To the point where Stephen and I have often had words about things he discards that I would have kept.

Yesterday afternoon, I walk into our departmental meeting and the table bears two heavily laden trays.

One with fresh fruit, the other with fresh veggies.

Ordered by a department-that-shall-not-be-named because I am usually in enough trouble thankyouverymuch and I don't need anymore.

Whatever function they'd been ordered and paid for was done and over and no one claimed them.

The catering guy didn't know what to do, because if no one claimed them they would be going into  garbage.

Imagine.

All that fresh, yummy, completely edible food tossed in the garbage because someone was too indifferent to do anything about it.

Luckily, a member of our department intervened and we munched on veggies and fruit throughout our meeting.

And guess what happened next. . .

That's right.

I piled everything onto one tray, because those trays are heavy without anything on them and brought it all home.

Meaning right now I have a lovely fruit salad in my refrigerator and a bag of already cut veggies for munching on throughout the day.

Nonetheless, I am still fuming at the idea that it would have all been thrown out.









Because yesterday was Friday, Em had no school for a teacher something day and was actually already at work, and Keith was hibernating in his room for the evening, I found myself home early.

As in at 4.00 pm.

Very different from my usual somewhere between 6.00 and 7.00 pm arrival time.

Meaning that by 6.00, I was ready, willing and desperately needed a walk with Frankie and Tikka.

Stephen has the flu, and feeling housebound by the time the early evening rolled around, I thought he would also benefit from some fresh air.

Because Stephen is a cranky sick person and a walk could only assist in alleviating the crankiness.

As soon as we arrived, parked and exited the vehicle, we noticed on our right two sections of the vast fields laden with potatoes.




We were walking in the fields of a potato research center.

Making the presence of potatoes not so mysterious.

Of course, Stephen thought we should harvest a couple.

Alas, we had no pockets or bags.

And I could see either dog willingly carting a load.

Any load.

Tikka's lucky she can still cart herself around.









Always prepared, Stephen brought along his head light in the event that we were still wandering when the sun set.

We were.

So bringing along the light was, indeed, a good idea.


Plus he just looks so cute.

While we were walking, musing, sometimes talking and mostly enjoying just being outside
a fellow walker's dog, who clearly possess a dog with just as much energy as Frankie, who ran through a field disrupting the pleasant restings of a flock of Canadian geese resting for a moment on their journey to warmer climes.

And as the geese flew overhead, squawking in anger, I captured the following pictures:







Standing there, geese flying overhead. . .

That was magical.




Title Lyric: Here Come the Geese by The Barenaked Ladies

No comments:

Post a Comment