Friday, October 21, 2011

I don't wanna feel distress. . . .

October 21, 2011

Yesterday was one of those days where I couldn't figure out if it was a good day or a bad day.

POURING rain when I take the dogs out at 6.00 am.

Resulting in a most reluctant-to-even-consider-doing-her-business Tikka.

And an OHMYGAWDMUMIT'SRAININGLET'SPLAY Frankie.

But most importantly, a very, very soaked Mummy when she was finally able to corral everyone and get back inside the warmth of the house.

Finally arriving at work, I get to my office and realize I don't have my office keys.

Luckily, Keith arrived ahead of me, with his key in tow, and was able to open the door.

Yeah me!

Nonetheless, I was still without the keys necessary to open the computer consoles needed for my powerpoints.

So where the hell were my keys.

I looked everywhere.

All the usual places.

Every bag I carry with me, every pocket in those bags, every nook and cranny in those bags, in my office.

And then I called Stephen.

No, he replied. I don't have your keys.

Fine.

The last option was to check the classroom where I was last teaching the day before in hopes that I left them there in the rush and fury that were the hoards of students who wanted to speak with me about their upcoming papers.

Actually, Keith did it for me.

And no keys, but he suggested I still go to the classroom to check for them myself.

All this time, I was trying to get together a powerpoint for my class at 10.00 am, trying to concentrate while inside I was in turmoil about the location of my keys.

Standing at the elevator, I was anxiously waiting, wondering what. the. hell. I was going to do without my keys and how much of a kerfuffle it was going to be to get them all replaced, when the elevator door opens and there stands a very wet, dripping Stephen.

Holding my keys.

Imagine.









The ensuing tension resulted in me concluding it was a stressful day.

Now there were little things along the way to alleviate that stress.

More specifically, dogs.

In two of my classes, I was treated to the presence of four legged, fur bearing creatures who were more than willing to soak up my stress.

Elmer and Oscar.

Two miniature dachshunds.



Now this is not a picture of the actual Elmer and Oscar.

But I will get one.

Yes I will.

In advanced qual, I met Charlie.


And after advanced qual, there was Maddy.

An eight year old rottie-boxer mix.

For whom I could find no picture.

But trust me when I say that she was absolutely adorable.

I was holding on to my sanity through the help of these always-lookin'-for-love critters.

And then, the ultimate stress breaker came my way.

Causing me to burst into tears in the McDonald's parking lot when I picked up Em and she showed me the ultimate stress breaker.


Yesterday was grad photo day.

Here's the proof.

Ha! I made a pun.

Things must be looking up.

I simply can't grasp that my baby is graduating from high school.

And so beautiful.

Whatever I did that was so deserving of such a lovely child, I am so very happy I did it.









Not only have Em and dogs created such stress relieving environments, the kitties have been providing much needed relief.

A couple of mornings ago, Wednesday I think, when I was up and working at 5.30 in the morning, frantically trying to make a deadline, Jasper hopping and jumping around like grease on a griddle.

Pookie rescued me, assuming the role of knight in shining armour.

Corralling the jittery Jasper, rendering him legless.






Jasper has been the source of all sorts of entertainment this week.

The bird feeders were put up.

Filled with seed.

Essentially turning on loud and clear Cat TV.

The next morning the two tempting bird feeders were too much for Jasper to ignore.



















Sitting atop of the green chair, he sat and watched those feeders with the intensity of my father watching hockey night in Canada when I was a kid.

I don't know who chirped more.

Jasper or the birds.

Either way, they provide all the stress relief I need.

Good thing.

Because this weekend, I have 53 exams to mark, 20 research question assignments, and 18 indepth interviews.

I may end up petting those cats bald by Tuesday morning.



Title Lyric: No Stress by Laurent Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment