Thursday, October 27, 2011

Now, it's early in the morning. . . .

October 27, 2011


Another day that began at 5.00 am, had me arriving at work at 7.00 am, and now I am just 25 minutes shy of heading to my final class until next Tuesday, when everything will begin again. 

How is it that after years of wanting to be into work during the wee hours of the morning, when I am at my absolute best, I am finally able to get into my office when I am ready, and have the added bonus of getting a primo parking spot?

Negotiation.

In the end, the key to attempting to meet the needs of the members of your family in a manner that ensures that one person isn't doing more than they should.

I asked Stephen if he would be willing to drive Madame Emily to school Tuesday and Thursday mornings, freeing me to get into work and prepare for my day with ease.

As opposed to the arriving at 9.00 am because Emily is not the fastest person in the morning making me harried and cranky in my frantic hour preparation for class.

Stephen was more than amenable to the suggestion, as I would still be doing three mornings a week.

The mornings when I don't have to teach.

I have plans to teach an 8.30 am class next year. 

Because Em will be in university, with a vehicle of her own, and I will be here and able to introduce students to the exciting world of criminology.

I can't be the only person who finds the early mornings productive.









What have I been doing that requires the full and undivided capacity of maximum brain power?

Marking.

I have some colleagues who say they leave marking for they are not at their peak.

An activity to be relegated to the times when their brains are not functioning at full capacity.

Like during the commercials in between television programs.

Or something similar.

I can't do that.

Although there are days when I wish I could.

If I ask my students to work on something, even if they choose to not work at their best, I still think I need to work at my best.

So I have been trying to stay on top of the marking.

Not let it get away from and build up momentum like a snowball rolling down a very steep hill.

And let me just say that I am holding on to that snowball, but just barely.

Tuesday were the research questions.

Yesterday and today, the introduction to crim midterms.

Tonight, tomorrow, the weekend, crime and popular film papers just in time to get the research question rewrites and put the first crime and popular film quiz online.

Just another day in the life of an ordinary crim prof who thinks someone should make her a sign for her door that says this:




Title Lyric: Early in the Morning by B.B. King

No comments:

Post a Comment