Friday, October 28, 2011

I'm writing these letters. . . .

October 28, 2011

Friday morning.

Overslept.

Instead of up at 5.00 am, as set by the alarm clock, I was awakened by the dulcet tones of my loving husband informing me that it is now 7.00 am and was I going to get Em moving for class?

Nice.

My first response was, whaaaaaaaaaaaa???????????

Then, a little more coherently but perhaps in a somewhat whiny tone, "I set the alarm???? What happened?"

Apparently in my haste to set the alarm last evening, I inadvertently set it for 5.15 pm instead of am.

Hence why I was still sleeping at 7.00 am.

I rushed into Em's room to inform her that I'd overslept and her response was, "that's fine. I was up doing homework until late because I had to work."

I wasted all that good panic for nothing.









Instead of jumping in the car to dash off to work this morning, even though I could work at home as I am not teaching, I am grounded to the house.

Me and the dogs.

Waiting for the cable guy.

Stephen has apparently signed us up for fiber op cable.

Even though I'm not convinced he actually knows what he's signed us up for.

It costs a bit more, but a Facebook query has only provided positive results, so we'll go for it.

But if it isn't all I am expecting, we'll be returning to our regular scheduled programming.









As soon as the cable guy is gone, I am off to work to write and send a reference letter that should have been written and sent days ago.

I have no problems agreeing to write reference letters for some students.

But not for all.

If I can't write a letter that is positive, I refuse to write one at all.

This week, I had an email from a student I had 11 years ago asking for a reference.

I had to decline.

Even after looking her up on Facebook I couldn't remember who she was.

And normally, I am good with faces.

Although to be fair, 11 years ago I wasn't exactly performing at my peak.

Peak psychosis maybe. . . .

Agreeing to write them isn't the issue.

Actually writing them is.

I don't use form letters.

Some people do and that's fine, but I prefer to write letters that directly speak to the skills and promise of my students.

Meaning they take time to craft.

And then write and rewrite.

Some years, I have reference forms for countless students.

One year I was at work until after one am writing, printing and enveloping them.

So when I am finally able to get into work, once our house is retrofitted with the latest and greatest in fiber op cable, I'll write and fax the letter.

Just in time.









This evening, we're attending a play downtown, written and produced by a friend of ours.

I can't remember the last time I attended a play.

And on a Friday night no less.

Almost makes me feel like a real grown up!




Title Lyric:  Letters to You by Finch

No comments:

Post a Comment