Monday, July 18, 2011

I'm comin' home, comin' home, tell the world I'm comin home. . .

July 18, 2011


9.00 am

Plumber standing at the door.

We knew he was coming sometime today, but really, when does a plumber, phone company repair person, cable person EVER show up at 9.00 am.

Ever.

But there he was.

Frankie was put in the Frankie Hut, for his protection.

Ours.

And the plumbers.

Tikka wandering all over the plumber, saying, "Hi. My name is Tikka. I'm 13, and like long walks. . . ."

Me and Stephen in our pjs.

An auspicious start to what it turning out to be a challenging week.






A few days ago, I noticed a small pool of water in the basement, around the main pipe in the house.

I mentioned it to Stephen.

He called the plumber.

And there he was.

It would appear that the small pool of water was actually indicative of a much larger problem.

Extending from the top of the house to the bottom of the house.

From the upstairs bathroom, through to the office, down to the living room and into the basement.

Something about a pipe that connects to the main pipe and it's cracked.




Apparently its been that way for some time.

Maybe since the house was built.

And for some reason unbeknownst to us, this leak has decided to make its presence well know.

Including introducing us to the damage rampant throughout the house.

At least in the wake of the leak.

Mould.



Rotten insulation.

Holes in my walls revealing the skeleton upon which my home is built.

Our office.


The living room wall.


And of course, Frankie was  being Frankie.

Uptight.

Territorial.

Defensive.

In his crate.



I hate putting him in there, but because of his behaviour, we don't really have any other choice.

And he loves it.

Goes in there all the time.

And if he wants to go in there, and the door is shut, there is always holy hell to pay.

Because he makes it well known he wants his Frankie Hut door opened.

Now.

His food, lots of ice cubes, toys and his tartar buster bone bigger than both my hands put together were included with him.

Other than the strange man wandering around the house, he was a happy boy.






The insurance company has already been contacted.

I went in personally, after my Simply for Life appointment (no loss . . .holding too much water. . .just call me Sponge Dawne) and opened the insurance claim in person.

Wanting everything done as soon as possible.

Within a couple of hours an adjustor called us.

And a couple of hours after that, a repair person was at the door.

After assessing the damage, he left and returned again, with machines like I've never encountered.

The biggest dehumidifier I've ever seen.

As well as a couple of fans.





Something about removing any moisture from inside the walls to prevent the floor. . .my just one year old laminate floor. . .from buckling when they replace the wall in the living room.

And this monstrosity has to run all night.

Selfishly, all I can think of is my power bill.






My mother was skilled at many things.

Including gardening, which included houseplants.

When at the house yesterday, I rescued the last remaining houseplant.

Because while my father is well able to clean and cook, look after the yard, etc., he is not as gifted with plants as my mother.

Nor is he as interested.

I have coveted this plant for ever.

Knowing my father didn't want it, and my mother couldn't have it, it seemed only appropriate that I bring it home with me.

So I did.

Now I just need to find a spot for it.

Because it is rather large.


I just wish I knew what it was.

Mum doesn't even remember.






As it is hotter than Hades today, the kids decided they would head over to Mer's apartment for a swim in the pool.

Stephen and I were desperate to go, but with all the activity around here today, it didn't seem apropos that I leave Stephen in the midst of the chaos to deal with everything, dogs included, on his own.

Just for the sake of a long, cool, relaxing swim.

Although I haven't really been much help.

I don't like the heat, it makes me lethargic and tired.

Miserable even.

I'm still worn out from the emotional roller coaster that was yesterday's visit to my parent's house.

But it's probably better than swimming.

I'd be more than likely to get into the pool and sink to the bottom from exhaustion.

So, the pool.

Keith and Em were bored, hot, cranky.

So their leaving for a couple of hours to swim, before Keith works at 5.30, in the midst of all the homefront chaos was a good thing.

Plus, they need to take the opportunity to use the pool while they can.

Mer is moving into the house for September 1st.

This was the decision that has taken so much time and energy for the last couple of weeks.

On her part and ours.

When all was said and done, all options examined carefully and critically, the pros and cons weighed and weighed again, the bottom line was the same every time.

Mer, and Jasper her cat, need to get out of the rut they're in and the only way to do that is to take the money pressure off Mer for a little while.

Until the spring.

And then we'll reassess things and see where we are.

There are conditions

They must be met.

Consistently.

This was not a decision we made lightly.

In fact, it was a decision made with a lot of discussion. . .some of it not always pleasant.

On both sides.

Because, in part, it wasn't an easy thing for Mer to ask.

At all.

What 21 year old girl who has lived in her own apartment for the last three years is excited about moving back into her parent's house, with her parent's rules?

Exactly.




What September to May will be like is anyone's guess.

But I know this much. . . .

It will be an adventure.



Title Lyric: Coming Home by Diddy

No comments:

Post a Comment