Friday, April 1, 2011

U.G.L.Y You ain't got no alibi you ugly eh! Hey! You ugly . . . .

April 1, 2011


Happy First of April!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're getting a snowstorm today.

30 cms.

Heavy, wet snow.

Blustery winds.

Mother Nature's cruel April Fool's prank.






Or she's having one hell of a hot flash!

We just got home.

One of the worst drives ever.

Cars off the road all over the place.

Fredericton is all hills.

To get to our house, we have to go down a fairly steep hill, and then up another.

We saw no less than a half a dozen cars off the road, or stuck trying to get up the hill.

The result of people mesmerized by the disappearing snow and warmer temperatures, eager to remove their winter tires in celebration of the arrival of Spring.

The roads are slick with ice, lacking both plowing and dirt.


It took us almost 45 minutes to leave the university, pick Em up from school and take her to work.

This is usually a 10 minute drive.

In bad traffic.

But not today.

Radio stations spewing regular warnings about how bad the roads are.

I just don't understand how people could take their snow tires off.

It's New Brunswick, people!

I've seen snow, sleet and hail on Keith's birthday.

May 8th.

And it wouldn't matter how drunk with happiness I was over the arrival of warm weather.

Stephen was not taken in by the allure of the temptress Spring.

He resolutely refused to remove the snow tires until he saw temperatures above 7 degrees Celsius for at least two weeks.

Kaptain Kaution wins again!






April 1st also means there are only 8 class days remaining in this term.

Eight days remaining of oh-my-gawd-the-term-is-coming-to-an-end-I'd-better-get-my-ass-in-gear-and-start-that-paper.

And OH-MY-GAWD-THE-TERM-IS-COMING-TO-AN-END-AND-I-AM-SWAMPED-WITH-WORK-AND-WILL-NEVER-AGAIN-SEE-THE-LIGHT-OF-DAY!!!!!

Or, OH=MY-GAWD-THE-TERM-IS-OVER-AND-I-HAVE-TO-GO-BACK-TO-LIVING-WITH-MY-PARENTS-FOR-THE-SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen and heard it all this week.

And more.

All I can think of is yeah, classes are over soon and I'll have two weeks of frantic marking to get grades in before I have to start teaching Intersession in May and I have a conference paper yet to write for May so I am going to have my own little panic attack right now if you don't mind.

So forgive me for lacking in sympathy over your finite plight.






The other day, in my Crime and Film class, I reminded them of the increased number of office hours I am having.

Something I do to assist with assignments, papers, anxiety. . . .

And I always say, somewhat jokingly, that I like Fair Trade coffee, two sweetners, once cream if they are thinking of coming by.

I normally drink one, maybe if I am really tired, two cups of coffee a day.

Today, I had four.

Four cups of hot, steamy, luscious caffeine running through my veins.

I couldn't figure out, initially, how come I was so jumpy, on edge, shaky, jittery, unable to sit still, unfocused, unable to concentrate on anything for more than 10 seconds. . . .

More anxious than usual about driving in the bad weather.

Nor did I clue in that perhaps I was experiencing a change in personality.

Perhaps even, as unbelievable as it may seem, slightly difficult to be around.

Stephen suggested that he make dinner and I go upstairs, change and "relax."

I just think he didn't want me wielding knives and being in contact with a hot stove.

Not even then did light bulbs go off that perhaps I was, maybe, perchance, a little "off."

It wasn't until I was changing my clothes that I realized I had four cups of coffee.

Large cups of coffee.

It's gonna be ugly when I crash.

U.G.L.Y. ugly.




Title Lyric: U.G.L.Y by Daphne and Celeste

No comments:

Post a Comment