Tuesday, March 29, 2011

You give me puppies, puppies, puppies, puppies in my heart. . . .

March 29, 2011


As the end of term draws near, the time has come for me to set aside time each day to assist my students with the analysis portion of their final papers.

I enjoy this time, as it gives me an opportunity for some one on one with my students.

To poke and prod into their personal lives.

Find out what makes them tick.

In the eternal quest to understand them better.

A to-this-point-failed-quest.

But important nonetheless.

And there are times when they do things that just set my little heart pitter-pattering at a ferocious speed.

For example, when they come bearing gifts.

Babies, for example.

Or puppies.

Yesterday was a puppy day.

A purebred Rottweiler puppy day.


If this little face doesn't melt your heart, you should go to the doctor.

You probably don't have one.

When my student came into my office bearing this bundle of sweet puppy breath, soft puppy fur, and the most delightful puppy kisses, I knew that my capacity for concentration had disappeared.

Because what could I say about analysis that would be more important, more pertinent, more life altering than this little face?????

As usual, the puppy lay content in my arms for the duration of the meeting.

As well as during the rounds to the offices of all the other insatiable dog lovers on our floor.

I may have even suggested a trade:

An A+ for a puppy.

Thankfully, the group had stronger morals and intestinal fortitude than I.

To test the waters of potentially new dog acceptance, I called Stephen while contentedly rocking and cooing to this little bundle of joy.

His reponse?

Vet bills.

Which is Stephen-ese for "NO!"

One look at that face, and even the steadfast and staunch Stephen would have melted.

Furthermore, we both know that if I really wanted to acquire another bearer of unconditional canine love, I'd just do it.

Bring the dog home.

Stephen would adjust.

However, I suspect that if I did indeed bring home another dog, Tikka would pack her bags and hitchhike to my parents.

One puppy in her golden years is more than enough.

But oh how those little puppy kisses and the sweet scent of puppy breath pulled at my heart strings!

Of course, when I arrived home and was subjected to the full body sniff down, I had some 'splainin' to do.

Frankie and Tikka looked at me as if I'd been sleeping around.

The canine version of sleeping around, anyway.






I have added something new to my new lifestyle regime.

The lunch hour promenade.

After eating lunch, which usually is comprised of some variation of chicken breast and vegetables, I pop my headphones into my ears, and to the popular tunes of today, do a 30 minute circut around the university and surrounding areas.

Most invigorating!

And makes those afternoons, the time when my body craves a nap, a little easier to bear.

Today I will don my Skechers Shape Ups and with my lovely linen dress. . . .

. . .because I am not transporting a change of clothes each and every day for a walk. . . .

walk and sing at the same time.

Don't like my rendition of Rhianna's S&M?

Find my belting, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but chains and whips excite me!" offensive?

Walk faster, then.






I learned a valuable lesson last evening.

Just because I've begun the process of mastering a few beginning yoga poses, doesn't mean I'm necessarily ready to branch out on my own.

I located the most informative yoga website and was looking at some of their poses.

Some were variations on things I am doing now.

Others are completely new.

But none of them are necessarily my soft, overweight body friendly.

A fact I was more than aware of last evening.

But if I wasn't, I would be this morning.

Did you know that there are muscles in your groin??????

And when not used very often, and then stretched and pulled by someone who really doesn't know what they're doing, will retailate with a pain not to be contested?

But I forge onward.

This morning, 5.30 am, me and the yoga mat are on the floor.

Together.

Doing the poses and stretches I am most familiar with.

Building up the strength and tolerance to do those poses that require just that little bit more.

Okay, a lot more.

One things for sure:

You can't learn yoga from a few internet pictures.

But you can try!






This is the child's pose.

It's a lot harder than it looks.

I can't quite get my head on the floor.

Or my arse on my knees.

More like my arse sticks up the air.

But I am working on it.

Yes I am!



Title Lyric: Puppies by J Bigga

No comments:

Post a Comment