Monday, February 21, 2011

A little bit of resolve is what I need now. . .

February 21, 2011


All was not as planned yesterday.

I actually didn't get to meeting. Bed was more appealing and necessary as I haven't been sleeping well this last week.

Stephen did go, though, so I didn't feel as guilty as I could have.

I managed to get myself out of bed around 1.00 pm, and came to the conclusion that I was just tired of being sick and in bed, and I was going to get up and get something done.

That I was not going to bed in the evening without having accomplished something.

Resolve.

I had it.

And I knew how to use it.






I marked interviews until Stephen came home.

At which time I said that if we didn't face the elephant in the room, the small-car-dog-dilemma, we were going to continue to live in absolute misery until our car was returned.

So, we put on our coats, hats, mitts, scarves, leashed the hounds and put them in the car.

They were the car.

Just enough room for the two of them to squeeze in there without getting their tails caught in the door.

Just.

I drove, as Stephen had to act as bouncer.

Arm across the space between the two front seats, he was on guard for the entire drive.

Frankie and Tikka didn't know what to do with themselves in such unrestrained quarters.

There wasn't much they could do, given there wasn't any room, however, they are a creative duo and I wasn't willing to even contemplate what kinds of chicanery they could get up to.

Of course, because we wanted to take our dogs out, our usual spot was out of order.

Trucks either bringing in or moving out hay driving up and down the road we normally walk on.

We had to find another spot, which usually isn't a problem at the potato research center.

But it was yesterday.

First off, if I was working up there, Monday to Friday, 8-4 or whatever the working hours are, I'd refuse to go to work until they properly plowed the roads.

Snow I don't mind.

But this was a melange of ice and slush and snow and ruts big enough to hold an oil tanker.

Imagine the thrills we experienced in the Fiesta.

We finally decided to park the car and walk down this little used road that connects to the Draco Road.

We didn't anticipate any traffic, as the road, outside of two slim walking paths on either side, was completely covered in ice.

A veritable skating rink.

Watching Frankie try to run and leap and chase and cavort on this sheet of ice was worth the price of potentially falling.

He just couldn't figure out how come he couldn't get all his legs working together.

Tikka stood on the sidelines, shaking her head, murmuring, "amateur" under her breath.

And it was COLD up there.

No trees to act as windblockers and acres and acres of empty fields meant Dawne should have worn her hat no matter how hard a time she has keeping it on her head.

And I asked Stephen if it was cold before we even left the house.

Of course, he claims he's been going through andropause for the last decade, so an accurate teller of weather he is not.

I should have known better.

Nonetheless, cold or not, the dogs had a good run and we were able to spend the remainder of the day in a bark-free house.

Hoo-rah!

Because Em was one bark away from severing their vocal cords.






I now believe I'm losing weight.

I didn't believe it before.

But at this very moment, I am wearing a pair of pants I've had in my closet for years, and have never worn.

In fact, this pair of pants is friends with two other pairs of pants and two skirts.

None of which I have ever been able to wear because they were too small, or I was too big, or both.

A friend gave them to me.

And in a bag they have been at the bottom of my closet.

Until today.

All three pairs of pants fit.

The skirts are getting close.

I tried on the dress that I wore when I defended my master's thesis in 1998.

It fits.

Again.

And this morning, after my regular Monday morning weigh in at Simply for Life, I reached my second goal.

50 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gone.

Never, ever to return.

At least not on this body.

Anyone else who wants them can have them with my blessing.



Title Lyric:  Resolve by The Foo Fighters.

No comments:

Post a Comment