Friday, September 30, 2011

Where does the garbage go?

September 30, 2011


This week brought good news.

I was successful in my request for a year long sabbatical.

Which was supposed to begin July 1, 2012.

However, I've had to request a year long deferral.

I had not taken into account that Em's first year of university would be Keith's last, meaning not one, but TWO university tuitions would be coming out of my pay.

I teach overload in order to manage one tuition.

Two tuitions on a no-overload-pay would be incredibly difficult.

And I'd spend more time stressing over money than actually getting any research accomplished.

So a deferral request was in order.

And I've waited several years for a sabbatical.

One more won't do me in.









Today and tomorrow, I have the privilege of spending time with a criminologist whom I consider to be the rock star of all criminologists.

Jeff Ferrell is giving the annual ACQRA lecture and then facilitating a workshop tomorrow.

He wrote the wonderful ethnography, Empire of Scrounge: Inside the Underground World of Dumpster Driving, Trash Picking and Street Scavenging.

As well as several other riveting books.

And Stephen and I will be going out for dinner with him, and others, tomorrow evening at the Blue Door.

The site of our first date.

I am SO excited!!!!!!!

Imagine meeting a favourite musician, actor, whomever, the one person you always wanted to spend some time with, picking their brains, listening to the words of wisdom they share.

That's how I feel.

I've met him before.

Heard his talks.

All the more reason for me to be excited about seeing him today and tomorrow.

The kids are coming with us.

Even Em, who is sick with a nasty cold.

But I really want her to hear him.

Plus she needs to get out of the house.

Stay tuned for pictures!

Oh, I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!









My Pookie is quite the well read and metaphorically gifted young man.

He once described spruce beer as "Christmas in a cup."

And just the other day, after donning sweatpants for a day in classes, he remarked that wearing sweats was like "wearing a hug."

That's my child.



Title Lyric: Where Does the Garbage Go? by The Wind Whistles.

No comments:

Post a Comment