Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Now it's early in the morning. . .

September 7, 2011


6.00 am.

Radio turns on.

Flo Rida and someone blaring through the speakers with the kind of music that should only be played after noon and even then, preferably in the dark of night under flashing lights.

Frankie taking over the bed in his stretched out all over the place fashion.

Cramps in my legs resulting.

Stephen snoring beside me, not even the shock of dance music in the early morning able to penetrate his sleep barrier.

Me hauling myself out of bed, reluctantly, knowing that this was the official beginning of my school year, whether I am ready or not.

I'm not.









Em's first morning of her final year of high school.

Grade 12.

Last of the trio to attend grade school.

I never thought I'd see the day.

Ever.

And now I wonder how it went by so quickly.

At least I won't be waiting in fear of her return with the budget blowing school supply list.

It's the small things.









And what a morning it's been so far.

In my office, listening to the BBC's Wire in the Blood, desperate to kick start myself with my first cup of 20 ounce coffee and all of a sudden such a calamitous cacophony emerges from my bedroom I had to go in and investigate.

Hissing.

Spitting.

Yowling.

Followed by crashing, banging, collapsing of things.

Goblet and Dibley.

Dibley entering into Goblet's domain, wanting nothing more than a peek out of the second floor bedroom window to see what shenanigans the birds were creating this late summer morning.

Goblet was not in a sharing mood.

Not at all welcoming of the addition of another four legged, furry being into her three feet of personal space.

On my bureau is a two tiered basket containing all my bits and bobs. . .deodorant, hair elastics, creams, lotions, brushes, combs, cat toys, dog treats, barettes, plastic doodaddies to keep my hair out of my face on hot summer days. . .

All of it flying through the air, bolstered by the venom and fury of cats fighting for purchase and territory in a two storey, four bedroom house with more than enough room for everyone.

So why does everyone want to be in the same, small spaces?

Instead of enjoying my first, and usually quiet, cup of coffee, I'm in my bedroom picking up the detritus of my dodad basket.

Stephen lying in bed.

Not moving.

Knowing full well what happened, having had a front row seat as the entire diva drama unfolded.

And wanting nothing to do with it, because I was up and it was my basket o' crap that went bottoms up.

All of this amid dealing with Em's first morning back to school jitters and nerves over the critical question, the $64,000 question:

What should I wear?????









And in typical Dawne fashion, with three classes premiering tomorrow, I have yet to finish those pesky syllabi.

Meaning after dropping Em off for her half day I'll be heading to my office to hopefully finish what I've been avoiding like the plague.

Now I have no choice.

Classes tomorrow at 10.00, 1.00 and 4.00 mean that I have to sit myself down and force myself to finish them.

Put all the assignment due dates in my daytimer in a futile attempt to avoid having papers and proposals come in on the same days.

Looking at how September has filled up faster than an hour glass with the sands of time flowing though it.

Marking the days of my life. . .until Christmas break anyway.

Actually, I am just holding on until Thanksgiving.

The first long weekend of the term.

When I'll be able to take a breather and check in with myself.

Until then, it's just a free for all.



Title Lyric: Early in the Morning by B.B.King

No comments:

Post a Comment