Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Can you practice what you preach?

September 21, 2011


There are few things that can stop me in my tracks.

But walking into my office after my second class of the day, greeted by my son in the big blue chair sporting a wet crotch from just below his breastbone to almost his knees did the trick.

More than a raised eyebrow that caused let me tell you.

For a moment, I truly thought he'd peed himself while sleeping in the chair.

Fortunately, he cleared up any erroneous hypotheses I was developing by informing me that a tussle with a carbonated black cherry water was the reason for his current predicament.

While leaning towards skepticism, there was a half full litre bottle of water sitting on the desk beside him, evidence supporting his claim.

My last class of the day was being held in the Harriet Irving Library, a library tour for my first year class in an attempt to prevent the whinging and whining about not knowing how to use the library.

Although I have second, third and fourth year students who have no clue how to use the library, even when I've bent over backwards to show them.

Part of me is convinced they either don't want to know, or really will just never grasp the intricacies of library research.

Yet they can find their way around the internet, ipods, ipads, etc.

I digress.

So I decided in the interests of time and exhaustion that it would be prudent to drive to the library, heading straight home after the class ended.

I took a bit of a detour and drove Keith to Meredyth's to pick a dvd up for me before he went home.

Because by that time his pants would have been dry enough to prevent chafing.

Wet jeans.

Most uncomfortable those wet jeans.

Although a friend of mine, who would have been a teenager in the early 70s informed me one day that the in thing to do during her youth was to put your jeans on wet so that when they eventually dried they hugged your curves.

And every other part of you in all likelihood.

I rather be baggy thanks very much.





Each year, 21 September marks Peace Day; a day for wide-scale community action, a day for UN agencies and aid organisations to safely carry out life-saving work, a day of global ceasefire and non-violence.

To learn how it all started, see this website, http://www.peaceoneday.org/en/welcome and watch the documentary Peace One Day and The Day After Peace.



Incredibly powerful, moving and really makes you stop, think about what we do in our everyday lives to foster, or not as the case may be, peace.

How can something so straightforward be so difficult to achieve?

St. Thomas is marking this occasion with the unveiling of a Peace Pole on campus with peace messages in English, French and Mi'gmaq and Maliseet.

In the evening the first ever Peace Cafe will be held in MMH 307.

Guest speaker Cathy Holtman will speak to how religious communities address family violence.

All sorts of people who are interested in peace and non-violence will be in attendance.

Including me and my camera.

Stay tuned for lots of pics.


And today, think peace!


Tomorrow, too, if you liked it.




Title Lyric: Where is the Love by The Black Eyed Peas

No comments:

Post a Comment