Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Oh girls they wanna have fun. . .oh girls just wanna have fun. . . .

July 12, 2011  (10.20 am. Still in pjs. Coffee half consumed.)


Girl's Day Out!

Emily, Meredyth and I out on the town, going for lunch, a movie (Horrible Bosses. . again the things I do for love) and then to Jinglers.

Meredyth hasn't really spoken to me for a couple of weeks, other than a bit of hello, how are you when I see her at work.

Her choice, not mine.

She interpreted my not wanting to hear about her money issues as me not wanting to have anything to do with her.

How she came to that conclusion, I have no idea.

So I am looking forward to spending some time with her today.

Meaning I'll have to stay away from the touchy subjects.

Or there'll be a whole new kind of fireworks over Fredericton today.






Last night I was awakened from a very fitful sleep to have to go to the bathroom.

Just long enough for my brain to kick into "worry" mode.

Stephen's desire to converse with me at 2.40 am didn't help either.

This happens every so often.

Stephen wanting to talk with me when I'm not awake, and my brain kicking into worry mode. 

Where for no apparent reason, anxieties I am suppressing about particular issues, such as this funding application, rear their ugly head in the middle of the night.

When my barriers have weakened and defenses are down.

I spent an hour or so mulling over what needs to be done by when and how before I was able to convince myself I had it all under control enough to warrant going back to sleep.

However, the glaring reality of time running short is too much to ignore, meaning that me and my laptop will be at the library tomorrow, free from the distractions of the internet, telephone, messy offices, to hammer out a draft of this application.

So long as there's Starbucks coffee on tap, I should be okay.



Another cell phone crisis has emerged.

Mine.

I've lost my cell phone.

A normal person would be outraged and upset by such an irresponsible act.

Not me.

I'm enjoying the silence thank you very much.

At the same time, I do realize I'm paying for a service I can't access at the moment, so that is starting to niggle at the back of my brain.

Meaning I'll probably have to purchase a new cell phone.

What baffles me is actually losing it.

I don't use it enough to actually lose it.

And I have no idea where I lost it.

I can't even remember the last time I used it.

There is an upside, however.

While I would never get one of those cell phones that cleans your house and makes bread while writing essays and walking your dog, I may get something with a keyboard.

My texting is atrocious according to my children.

My usually verbose self is reduced to one word texts like "ok." because I can't figure out how to text much more than that.

But it grates that I'll have to actually buy another phone.

Really grates.

I'm not to pleased with my stupidity, either.

And the knowledge that as soon as I bring home another cell phone, the old one is going to show itself.

I just know it.






7.54 pm. Hot, humid and exhausted.

For the most part, Girl's Day Out was fun.




Trying to get the two of them to take a nice picture was a lot more difficult than it was supposed to be.

Probably because they were hungry.

First then, lunch.

Where to have lunch, as always, was the issue.

Mer hadn't been to the new M&T Deli, so we decided it would be a fine spot for lunch on a hot summer's day.

On the way to the deli, however, I noticed that there was a new store downtown.

Or an old store with a new name.

Either way, it caught my eye.


I wonder if Stephen would be interested in checking out the inside?






Lunch was delicious.

I had the Louisiana Chicken Wrap with a green salad.

Always, of course, forgetting to ask for no tomato.


It was spicy, which is just what I wanted.

Mer had the chicken, bacon, Swiss, also with a green salad.


And Em, the chicken club, no tomato, no cheese.

Which is really just a chicken sandwich with lettuce.

But it's what she wants, and she got the homemade potato chips.

The very yummy and so not SFL homemade potato chips.


After lunch, we stopped at Officer's Square, just across the street from the deli.



Mer has a friend who is part of the Calithumpians. . .http://www.calithumpians.com/
a summer theater troupe, and they just happened to be performing in the park.





So of course she wanted to say hello.

But only after we watched the end of the performance.




Once she did her hi's and how are you's we were able to get back into the air conditioned car  . . .



. . . and head off to stop number two.

The movies.

Other than the air conditioned car, the only other sane place to be on a day where the temp is 37 degrees Celsuis with the humidex.


This marquee. . .

Em often has to put the letters up there.

It's not her favourite part of her job, but she does it because she has to.

If it's not the frigid winters, it's the mosquitoes.




Now, I had mentioned earlier that I wasn't looking forward to seeing Horrible Bosses.



Based on my experience with Monte Carlo I can't be blamed for being less than excited.

But. . .

I am not above being wrong.

Or admitting when I may have made an error in judgement.

While this film will never win an Oscar, or be the subject of critical acclaim, I have to say that it was plain funny.

Laugh out loud funny.

And I definitely needed a laugh out loud.

Plus, Kevin Spacey?

Who could resist.

I think that even Stephen would get a chuckle from it.






But all good things must come to an end.

And the day ended with words.

At the same time, they were words that needed to be said, on both sides, and it would seem that the air cleared enough to be able to begin negotiations toward something that will hopefully be better for all of us.

Right now, though, I am really tired.

Clearing the air is exhausting.

And, if past experience is any indication, this is just one more bump on the road towards peace and quiet.

A long, long, long road indeed.




Title Lyric: Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper

No comments:

Post a Comment