Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Send you a postcard. . . .

June 7, 2011


Our latest trek to the land of family and friends, looney drivers, fabulous food, egg bread, at least 50 loaves of bread and buns, Adonis, Maxis, flea markets, gardening, wine, SAQs and shopping, shopping and more shopping has sadly come to an end.

This visit was as much a whirlwind as the last.

Two days driving + two days visiting = one very, very, very tired Dawne and Stephen.

Stephen is actually upstairs, warmly snuggled into his side of the bed.

I set my alarm to get up at six to go into work.

I like to challenge myself.

And then accept that some challenges simply cannot be met under the current circumstances.

I was barely able to open my eyes this morning, at 9.45, when Tikka was pawing at the bed, reminding me that they had yet to be fed and did I plan at any point in time to move my arse out of bed to meet their sustenance needs?

Otherwise, I'd still be in bed right now.







During the drive there and back Stephen and I didn't even turn the radio on.

We talked.

Shocking, I know.

You should have seen the look of Em's face when I told her that we drove sans musique.

I love these drives for so many reasons, but the most important is spending time with Stephen, just the two of us, talking.

About serious things and not so serious things.

Or sitting together companionably, just enjoying being together.

We were very lucky, as both Friday and Monday were lovely driving days, sun shining, blue sky, white fluffy clouds, the St. Lawrence River around La Pocatiere magnificent. . .

Yet again Stephen and I were reminded that we MUST get  digital camera.

It's now on our BUY list, ahead of the barbecue.






We stopped for lunch just before Riverie du Loup, ate our salad, pita and tzatziki, shared it with the birds, sat in the sun. . .

Stephen opted for shade, but, his incessant need to turn on the air conditioning full blast, forcing me to sit bundled up as if I am awaiting the storm of the century, forced me to make an executive decision that sitting in the sun would facilitate my thawing.

Afterwards, as all good travellers must, we went to the bathroom.

Quebec roadside bathrooms are all the same.



Except this time, when I went into stall, I was greeted with a sign.

A sign in each and every stall, (I know, cause I looked) bolted to the wall on to the right of the toilet.

Translated into English, the sign basically said,

"The magic eye isn't working. Use the button."

I paused.

Looked around.

Magic eyes in toilet?

Just what I needed.

A piss camera.






My new favourite phrase?

Marche au Puce!






Flea market, open Thursday to Sunday and chock full of all sorts of goodies!

My bank account is much lighter after our sojourn to the land of never end stalls with more things to buy than you could imagine.

Stalls enticingly crammed together so that you're brain just managed to process the contents of one stall before you're confronted with the next.

A veritable cornucopia of shoes, socks, underwear, computers, gorgeous showers, paintings, flowers, candy, lps, cds, dvds, suits, jeans, pajamas, slippers, shirts, leather wear, sheets, duvets, pillows, kids clothes, men's clothes, women's clothes, Juicy Couture purses, wigs, xxx stall (Stephen wouldn't go into this one. . .but it was advertising a do-it-yourself-pole dancing kit. . . .), Persian rugs, bathroom mats, towels, toys, games, puzzles, dolls, furniture, rings, watches, earrings, necklaces, crystal, tailors. . . .

All that was missing were books.

But I managed given everything else that we had to explore.

Again, I had to leave before I was able to see everything.

I guess I'll just have to make another trip the next time we are in Montreal.





And of course, because we were out of town, Emily got sick.

A nasty cold.

I called her Saturday evening and she announced, "I'm sick."

Really Em?

Cause I couldn't tell, even though you sound like you have a roll of toilet paper shoved into each nostril.

And she was sick.

When we arrived home last evening, she was fevered, but very, very happy we had returned.

As were the hounds.

We always come into the house without anything to hinder the jumping and kissing and carousing that occurs as soon as they sense that our car has turned onto our street and will soon we stopping in our driveway.

One day I will capture the looks on their faces.

Priceless.

A combination of anger, relief, joy. . . .

Reilley ran out of the house, in a desperate attempt to avoid being trampled by the canine stampede.

Goblet stared at us from the top of the stairs and then stomped off towards the bedroom.

It took her a couple of hours to come around and allow Stephen to pick her up, mollifying her and promising no more trips for a while.

The drama, the drama.

Who needs soap operas?????






There is SO much more to tell.

But I've completely depleted by resources.

And I have to go out later and get some groceries.

Milk, fruit, veggies. . .

Mer is coming with us.

It's payday and she needs food.

Hence why I need more energy.

A nap?

I think oui. . . 


Title Lyric: Vacation by Young Jeezy

No comments:

Post a Comment