Friday, April 22, 2011

Do, do, do, do, what you want. . .

April 22, 2011


My 200th entry!

When I started this I had no idea I'd have so much to say!

Okay, maybe that's not all that true, but still. . . .200 entries.






Last night Keith, Em, Stephen and I saw Rio.

Some laughs, but overall, I was disappointed.

Kids will love it, absolutely.

The evil bird is definitely evil.

Stereotypes abound regarding anyone who isn't lily white as criminal.

Even harsh facial features.

Still. . . .

We didn't pay for it, spent time with 2/3 of our children, so as far as I'm concerned it was a good night.

In addition, I spent time with the other 1/3 of our children.

Meredyth and I made a coffee date and even managed to keep it.

A feat for both of us as usually, something comes up for one of us.

But not this time.

We had a lovely time together for an hour before she had to go to work.

I had my Starbucks grande mild.

She had her KFC crunchy chicken something with fries.

I may have nibbled a couple of fries.

But that was all.

Definitely something I will be doing again, regularly.






And then an odd thing happened.

A Thursday.

Suppertime.

I had the car.

Another odd thing.

Usually I am dropped off where ever I have to go and Stephen has the car.

And,  there was no reason to rush home for supper because someone had to go somewhere, or be picked up, or there was something I had to do, or somewhere I had to be, or work that had to be started because someone was waiting for it today.

Celebrate the odd things.

So I just wandered around the mall.

Ran into people.

Sat down with my coffee and had a conversation with someone who hadn't come looking for me to help them with a paper, answer a question about an exam, or deal with life crises.

For a brief period, I felt almost normal.

At the same time, there was still the niggling feeling in the back of my brain, the invisible hook between me and home gently tugging at me, suggesting that at this time of day, during this day of the week, I really should be home, setting the table and ladling out the homemade beef barely soup I prepared that morning and allowed to simmer all day long in the crock pot.

Eventually, I had to give in to the gentle tugging.

About 45 minutes.

I thought, given the unusual circumstances, the unanticipated unscheduled time, I thought I did very well.

Thinking that Stephen and the kids would be wondering where I was.

How come I was taking so long.

What I was up to.

I went back to the car and immediately called home.

Stephen answered.

And didn't seem the least bit concerned about where I was or what I was doing.

Come home when you're ready. Everything is fine here.

Leaving me to conclude that the invisible hook is a figment of my imagination.

I need to get out more.

A lot more.






Easter weekend.

Good Friday and Easter Monday, along with Remembrance Day and Boxing Day are the four days a year when nothing is open, no one needs anything and I don't have to be anywhere or do anything I choose not to do.

Another odd thing.

I don't have to go to work, I don't feel obligated to go to work.

Nothing is open so I don't have to do anything responsible, like grocery shopping, bill paying.

If there was any dirty laundry, I could hang it out, should I choose to.

I could do yoga all day if I wanted.

I love these days.

I wish there were more.

Sunday is a different story.

Family dinner.

Although, I think that this one will be a bit more peaceful.

We are providing the venue, a salad, some other veggies. . . .

Everyone else is bringing something. . .food, good conversation, family well being. . .

Who couldn't enjoy that?

I'm looking forward to a nice, relaxing long weekend.

Only four honours theses to read.

Two piles of papers to mark.

Two stacks of exams.

And yet, not feeling worried about it.

Just looking forward to the sunshine, the peace, the quiet, and the opportunity to do what I want to do. . .

. . .and not what I have to do.



Title Lyric: Do What You Want by OK GO

No comments:

Post a Comment