Saturday, April 16, 2011

Check the rack. What went out, is coming back.

April 16, 2011


Another week ending with my thinking WHAT A WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every night, in bed by 9.00 pm.

And getting there barely awake enough to put on my pjs.

Now that classes are over, and papers are in, with exams being the only thing left. . .

. . .outside of an honours thesis. . . .

I am HOPING that things will settle down.

That peace and quiet will reign.

And I will be able to sit in my office and not have to ignore the pounding on the door after I've told people I wouldn't be in because I had a meeting.

It ended early.

Pound away.

I'm not answering.






The kids had a doctor's appointment yesterday.

And since neither one of them yet possess a drivers licence, I had to go with them.

While we were there, I got a prescription refilled.

For some reason, my family doctor had recently changed his refill policy.

Instead of just calling in and asking for a refill, as I have done since I can't remember when, I now have to make an appointment and actually go in.

So I did.

And while the doctor was looking at my file, she happened to notice that I had not had a pap test since 2008.

Sh**!

I had to make a follow up appointment for a pap test.

A refill for my eczema-ridding antihistamine ends up with me getting a pap test.

I.

Feel.

So.

Lucky.

Nothing makes your day better than knowing that in six weeks you'll be spread eagle on a doctor's table, feet in stirrups, with the doctor shoving a stainless steel-should-be-nice-and-warm-but-is-inevitably-way-too-hot-speculum-up-your-hoo-hoo-twist-it-like-a-corkscrew-to-open-the-entrance-enough-to-shove-an-extra-long-Q-Tip-in-there-to-retrieve-a-specimen.

All while the doctor tells you to just "relax."

Really looking forward to that.

I asked if there was a male equivalent to the pap test.

No, she replied.

Of course not.

Then I asked when Em should get her first pap test.

Imagine the horror on Em's face.

Not until she becomes sexually active. If she's sexually active, she needs one. If not, she doesn't.

Imagine the horror on my face as I awaited Em's response to the question, "Are you sexually active?"

I believed I knew the answer.

But teenage rearing has done nothing if reinforce my belief in the idea that you never really know what's going on, and thus need to be prepared for the inevitable surprises.

But there were no surprises.

Thankfully.

Right now, I'm pretty much out of my patience and tolerance reserves.

And my ability to remain calm.







As we were in Oromocto, it seemed only apropos that I stop into Frenchy's for a little visit.

See what new goods were in stock.

Frenchy's is a gently used clothing store.

I love it!

Since losing this weight, I've found myself stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The clothes I have are too big.

I don't want to buy new clothes because they won't fit in the next two months.

Frenchy's provides the perfect solution.

Pants for $3.95

Shirts for $2.50.

I don't have to run around naked, and I don't have to spend a fortune on clothes I won't need for very long.

Everyone is happy.

I came home with two pairs of pants, two shirts, a sweater, yoga pants, and a button down shirt and t-shirt for Stephen, slippers for Em and a Gucci bag (I think. . .but it doesn't really matter because it looks nice) for me, all for $37.00.

So easy to please am I.

So easy.






Tonight we are getting together for dinner at Montana's to celebrate my fathers 71st birthday.

Family dinners out in public.

Me with enough experience to know what could potentially happen.

However, my cousin and her husband are joining us.

YEAH!!!!!

Not only will we get to spend some time with them, their presence may prevent my father from doing the things he does when it's just us.

Like complain.

A lot.

About everything.

Stephen and I will pick up Mum.

Em is working and will walk over when she's finished.

Keith is working and will not be able to attend.

Mer got the night off as soon as she heard a free meal at a restaurant was in the cards.

Easy to predict, our Mer.

Easy to predict.






Keith has finished his second year of university.

Classes over.

Papers handed in.

Nothing remaining but two exams, neither until close to the end of April.

Translation: a young man who was, up until a couple of days ago, so busy he barely had time to sleep now finds himself with more time than he knows what to do with.

Currently he is celebrating his freedom.

Experience tells me, however, that the novelty of this new found freedom will wear off pretty quickly.

I need to be prepared for the inevitable "I'm bored."

No worries.

Stephen has developed a list of things that need to be done around the house and yard.

And I have all sorts of things he could do in my office.

He'll do them.

Or beg for extra hours at work.

Either way, I won't have to hear he's bored.

Because that may cause me to react uncontrollably and do something I may not regret later.



Title Lyric: Vintage Clothes by Paul McCartney

No comments:

Post a Comment