Saturday, March 26, 2011

Did you feel you were tricked? By the future you picked?

March 26, 2011



Keith had an 8.30 meeting this morning at work.

Rather than drive back home and back to the mall to collect him, I'm sitting in my office, catching up on things I've been trying to get to but can't seem to during the weekdays.

And listening to British comedy.

Sadly, I finished Little Britain.

I STRONGLY recommend you watch it, if you already haven't.

Lou and Andy are favourites.



As is brash Vicky Pollard.



In an effort to fill the Little Britain void, I've turned to The Catherine Tate Show.

Recommenced by my friend Josh.

So far, Nan is my favourite.

I'm likin' it. . .yes I am!








Even if I was so completely oblivious to all around me, I would still know that the end of the term is drawing near.

How, you ask?

Because students begin flocking to my door, to discuss the obvious: assignments.

Realizing that there are three weeks left of term, and all of those assignments that they've known about since January are soon due.

And the not so obvious: life in general.

Sometimes they come in to talk about assignments, and end up talking about life in general.

Even at the tender ages of eighteen, nineteen, twenty, many of my young students believe that where they are is where they are and there is no way to make changes they need to make.

Working toward agendas not their own.

Rather those of well meaning parents who only want the best for their children.

I understand this.

I feel the same way about my children.

Years, however, of listening to students agonize over not wanting to be here, but feel they have to be here because it's what their parents want, has lead me to conclude that unless you're attending university, or college, or getting a trade because you want to, it's just not a good idea.

I tend to think that at the cost of tuition for an undergraduate liberal arts degree, around $40,000 over four years when all is said and done, it only makes sense that you spend that money because YOU want to.

Because YOU'RE ready.

Parents aren't sitting in classes, writing papers, studying for mid-terms and finals.

They may be paying for it, but it isn't much of an investment if you're not doing the best you can do.

A hard lesson for parents.

One I've had to face myself this year.

Who knows what Keith will be doing next year, or where he'll be doing it.

But if I believe what I believe, I have to be willing to practice what I preach when it comes to my own children.

I had such a conversation with a lovely and incredibly intelligent student yesterday.

Feeling stuck.

I hope that by the end of our conversation, some of the hardened glue had softened just a little.

And will continue to.

Because no one is so stuck that they can't sort things out with a little time and patience.






One student came by yesterday afternoon, friend from rival university in tow, to pick up the printed version of my PowerPoint presentation about open and focused coding.

Keith was lounging in the big, blue chair, his favourite perch when forced to remain on campus when he's not attending his classes.

During the course of the conversation, my students turned to Keith and said,

"Your mum is really down to earth and easy going Keith, You're so lucky!"

Keith smiled.

Nodded his head in agreement.

And then when the student and friend left, Keith sat up, looked me in the eye, grin on his face and said,

"WHAT are you saying in your classes to make them thing your down to earth and easy going?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"



Title Lyric: Down to Earth by Peter Gabriel

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry Dawne, it took me a couple years into University to realize how "down to earth and easy going" my mom was. hahaha. Keith (and your daughters) should eventually come around!

    ReplyDelete