Monday, February 28, 2011

And there is a dinner party right across the hall. . .

February 28, 2011


Officially the last day of February!

As my least favourite month, I am happy to see the end of February.

March isn't much better.

But at least it contains the March Break.

And it isn't February.

This Friday, 10.30 am, March Break officially begins.

Hallelujah!






I was very deviant yesterday afternoon.

Stephen and I ducked out of the real world for a momentary reprieve.

We saw the Oscar winning film, The King's Speech.

What an extraordinary film!

Funny, touching, heartwrenching. . .it had it all.

Colin Firth was phenomenal and certainly deserved the Best Actor award last evening.

One I was unable to stay up and see.

The only one I really wanted to see, too.

Geoffrey Rush should have won Actor in a Supporting Role.

Any other year, I would have been first in line cheering on Christian Bale.

I do love his work.

Equilibrium was a far better film than Minority Report.

But up against Geoffrey Rush, I can only have one allegiance.

Imagine my disappointment when the Academy passed over the man who, with Firth, make The King's Speech an absolutely brilliant film.

And Helena Bonham Carter was astounding.

And also should have won an Oscar.

So overall, I was somewhat disappointed.

I get that way when I think an injustice has occurred.





Friday's snowstorm of epic proportions provided a lot of snow.

Some reports our pre-weekend dumping at 50 cms.

It would appear Mother Nature is having a bit of a hissy fit about something, because she's decided that another school-closing-shutting-the-university-down-at-5.30-storm was necessary.

All it means is a little bit of down time in the house that will translate into a lot of family shoveling time tomorrow morning before we leave the house for school and work.

Oh. joy.






Saturday evening's dinner was lovely.

You just can't go wrong serving Ukrainian food.

In my humble opinion, anyway.

Borscht. Pampouska. . .a filled biscuit/dumpling. Ukrainian stew. Blini with ricotta cheese and peach jam.

Very, very good.

But not so good today when I had my weekly weigh in at Simply for Life.

I knew it wasn't going to be good. . .I could feel it all weekend.

Because before the Saturday dinner out was our second week of Stephen's Friday night pizza treat.

A medium Domino's Pizza with feta, provolone, green olives, mushrooms.

Very tasty.

But it stayed with me all weekend, leaving me feeling bloated and yucky.

I still feel bloated today.

Thus, I lost less than a pound this week. . .a direct result of my body's difficulty getting rid of the sodium from the pizza.

I promptly informed Stephen that Friday pizza-treat was out for me, unless we made it at home with low fat, low sodium ingredients.

I've worked too hard to lose this 50 pounds and I am NOT about to fall off the wagon because Stephen feels he needs a weekly treat to keep motivated.

I love him, but I love me, too, and clearly I am just not ready for take out pizza.

Now, a homemade pizza, with a pita for the crust, low sodium sauce, a little bit of low sodium cheese, veggies and chicken breast. . .that I am ready for.

Small steps.

Willpower.

Determination.

And ignoring my husband.

All needed for my continued success.



Title Lyric: Dinner Party by White Rabbits

No comments:

Post a Comment