Sunday, December 26, 2010

It's Boxing Day again my dear. . .

December 25, 2010


MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I hope where ever you are, you're spending the day with people you love, and who love you.





Right now, we are experiencing the Christmas cone of silence.

That period of limbo, where the gifts have been opened, and there isn't much to do before I come back from the Nursing Home and starting panicking about dinner.

Not much to do for Stephen and the kids.

I have plenty to do.

Which is why I'm writing.

Since my mother has been in the nursing home, we just never know.

Meaning I don't know who will actually be here.

My parents are a crap shoot.

You just never know until the very last minute if my mother is going to make it.

And my father. . . .?????





This morning marked another rite de passage in our family.

*I* was the first one up.

Not a creature was stirring, not even the dogs.

I had set the alarm for 8.30 because I knew I needed to get up, showered, and start preparing things for dinner later today, as I will be dining at the Nursing Home at noon.

Like the sweet potatoes.

They take time, and inevitably, I'll need the oven for something.

Christmas is the only time of year I wish for two ovens.

And where I actually have to plan the meal ahead of time.

Hence why the turkeys were stuffed and cooked yesterday.

After I emerged from the shower and made myself presentable, I went into Keith's room and started singing,

"MERRY CHRISTMAS, MERRY CHRISTMAS, MERRY CHRISTMAS, MEEERRRRRYYYY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" to the tune to Alleljuah.

He peeked out from under his covers, eyes still shut, and muttered,

"Well. This is a reversal isn't it."

I went back to my room and regaled Stephen with the same melodious greeting only to hear,

"I'm coming back to bed when we're finished!"





Mer fell asleep on the couch so while walking down the stairs, I resumed my holiday regaling.

I walked over to the couch, to see just the top of Mer's treetop hair arrangment sticking out from underneath the blankets.

I sang at her while she continued to pretend to sleep and ignore me.

No comments:

Post a Comment